College Planning for Military Family Members

If you’re a military veteran with a child preparing for college, there are specific resources and benefits available to support their educational journey. This guide provides information on how your military service can assist your child’s path to higher education.

Military Service Records

Colleges often ask about the military service records of both students and their parents. If you’ve served in the military, it’s important to inform your child about your service record. This information can potentially open up additional resources and support for your child.

Passing the GI Bill

If you’re medically retired from the military or have served for 10 or more years, you qualify to pass your GI Bill benefits to your child. The GI Bill provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service after September 10, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days.

Enrolling in DEERS

To pass on your GI Bill benefits, you’ll need to enroll your child in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS). DEERS is a military benefits system designed to provide accurate, up-to-date information to military members and their families.

How to Pass on the GI Bill

You can apply to transfer your GI Bill benefits to your child online at the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website, The website provides a step-by-step guide on how to transfer benefits.

In conclusion, as a military veteran, your service can provide significant support for your child’s college education. By understanding and utilizing these resources, you can help ease the financial burden of college and support your child’s academic journey.

Resource Information:
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
Visit Resource Site
Skip to content